Monday, September 3, 2012

Healing Hands

I believe in the power of touch, I think I always have..... I cannot remember a time when I did not want to hug someone that was hurt or hold someone that was scared. I believe that a hand on an arm or a caress of the back can reassure one that things will be alright. I recall many times my dad putting his arms around me to comfort me, or mom rubbing my back to help me fall asleep ..

Now I find myself returning the favor.... My dad is finding comfort from holding my hand and caressing my arm.

Touch is also therapeutic; massage keeps the blood flowing, can keep swelling at bay, and can help prevent muscle loss. A few days ago dad asked me to rub his shoulder and neck, he has had neck pain for years but all this laying around literally is a pain in his neck.... I did what I could, but my hands are only so strong. However, my boyfriend Mike has taken massage therapy classes and has "healing hands"..... Even started my dads truck at one point, but that is a story for another time. ...  I asked dad if he would be willing to have Mike work on him see if the hands still live up to their reputation....  He agreed and has since asked if he would come back and work on his left arm and leg..... Not agreeing to us when we asked him if he would like Mike to come back, HE asked for Mike to come back and work on him.... He thought it would be a smart idea, his words. 

Healing Hands

1 comment:

  1. My massage therapist is better than any doctor I've ever known. It should be a part of any therapy regimen .

    ReplyDelete