Saturday, September 8, 2012

Familiar acts.....

Little familiar acts.... Habits, routines, behaviors, actions... These are the some of things that make us, us... These are also things, well some of them, that make us feel complete and and are necessary to the inpatient/ rehabilitation process... Even if someone is doing the action for you, the familiarity helps the healing process... The first of these that dad needed/ wanted was the all important shave... Although the Patient Care assistant here at the hospital can do this for us, dad asked us to stop by a local Target and buy him an electric shaver.. Yes, he did specifically say Target!!!  We are armed and ready, and for now we are doing the deed.... But that will be his job soon...

Now to the haircut, ok comb. This simple act of combing or brushing ones hair, that little action can make such a difference. A few days ago the occupational therapist asked dad to do this while they he sat in front of the mirror... He did then, and again today when I handed him a comb.. A small step on the long journey of recovery..

Today I had an experience with another patient here in 1 South that proved to me just how important behaviors are... After mom and I finished lunch, as I stood up to gather bags and goodies I dropped my keys to the floor... Before I could bend down to pick them up, a patient, another gentleman also recovering from a stroke wheeled over and bent down to get them for me. That small act was very important for him to accomplish, to assist, to be the gentleman that he was and still is. He went so far as to thank me for allowing him to do it, even though it was difficult for him to do... My pleasure...

No comments:

Post a Comment