Monday, October 8, 2012

The pleasure of food.....

Pureed, soft, squishy foods be gone.... Strange thickened beverages and creepy thickened water au revoir..... At long last, dad can have REAL food again!!!! Following a barium swallow test today the speech therapist signed off on dads upgraded diet plan.... Real coffee, real tea, whole pieces of protein and real side dishes..... At last I can bring dad my homemade food, healthy and nourishing made from the heart, although I did bring him homemade applesauce last weekend. But now I can do more....

As all of you know I love to cook!!! Really love to cook... I also am practically unable to cook in small amounts, leftovers are definitely par for the course at our house.... Even tonight a meal made of leftovers became a winter squash and kale soup, enough to feed a small army!! But hey more leftovers to share!! Speaking of which, I did share some homemade vittles a couple days ago to a fellow patient on the floor. Dad's next door neighbor, a gentleman I met a few weeks earlier while he was out walking the floor. A gentleman who I discovered has been a personal chef for years, and not surprisingly is not at all impressed by hospital food. After a lovely discussion I offered, if he was interested to bring in some food I had made for him to enjoy.. Yesterday was that day, and though I was not there while he ate.... He did leave a very lovely note for the "Spicer Family", thanking us for the "superb" food and how much our sharing meant to him. He has been in the hospital for 8 months now and a taste of home meant a lot to him...

Now that I can bring food for dad, I will be cooking up a storm for dad and others to enjoy....

No comments:

Post a Comment